What was supposed to be an appointment for radiographs with a drop off and over night hospital stay for surgery tomorrow has turned into a bigger ordeal than I seem to be able to handle. Which, is just par for the course for the past week is it not? We are coming off of hitting many many snags even in our plan b for our finances- and in short despite our amazing credit, because I made the switch to self employed, and although making more than when I was working for the man, based off of last year’s taxes no one will give us a loan!
But that is neither here nor there as our biggest concern is what to do with Klaus’ surgery!
His blood work came back iffy- with possible signs of infection so they needed to run a second work up. I just got the call from the attending and so far things look ok and they are waiting on the urinalysis. This puts us driving back to Cornell next week for surgery.
The biggest snag of them all however is the surgeon’s concern for Klaus’ rehabilitation. We do not have a chill lap dog who will lounge about and be ok with just resting. No no no. We have a dog who is so protective of the house that any sound outside, human or dog he is jolted to a standing position and if we don’t catch it in time, is in the window LOSING HIS MIND! It is no exaggeration folks. It was a concern we had brought up initially back in the first consult. But I don’t think they got the jist of it until today.
So here I sit, with a dog who is drugged up from anesthesia from the radiographs, unable to eat (hasn’t eaten anything since 11 last night), with a pen and paper in front of me listing the pros and cons of each option.
All I can think of is “SHITE! This is where we were months ago!”. We were explained about the FHO and were almost sold on it when we really sat down and discussed everything, we decided on THR. Now we are back at considering the FHO because of the down time is 10 DAYS! But he would probably have to have his other hip done. If we do the THR probably just one hip so it’s one time we have to deal with this mess.
Is this deja vu or what?! This is all the stuff I highlighted months ago. FHO- less down time, but probably both hips so the same cost essentially as a THR. THR is more expensive but considered the cadillac of surgeries but has way more risks- ie shepherds bones are thinner so hammering an implant into a thin bone can cause it to break. If shit hit the fan they would essentially have to take out the implant and do an emergency FHO.
OH MY GOD THIS IS ALL SO RIDICULOUS!
*I just got off the phone with my mom who spoke to my uncle who used to raise shepherds and is currently the proud papa to a rescue who is a total shit like Klaus. His verdict? THR. Even though the attending said he’d do an FHO if Klaus was his, he did say they have some anxiety meds which would help with Klaus’ down time.
Am I leaning towards the THR again? It feels like it but I’m not ready to make this decision just yet. I am way too overwhelmed and tired.
I’m tired too bud but you gotta hang in there while we figure this stuff out. We just want what’s best. And I am not ashamed to admit I just don’t know at this point! I just don’t know.